Sunday, December 6, 2009

Tattoo's and job employment Legallality issues?

Ok I was wondering if this was legal or not.



So i have been looking for a job now for about a month i got



a job with AMC movie theaters when they called me to setup



the interview they had told me I couldn鈥檛 have long hair,



piercings, or tattoos on my face, neck, or hands.



I don鈥檛 have any of these i do however have 3 tattoos on my forearms



a cross and two stars......so i went to the interview got the job everything seemed



good they asked me to come in a week later to pick up my uniform. So that would make



it 2 times I have talked with these people in person. After which I went in for training



while I was in training with the five other people they hired they told



me I wouldn鈥檛 be able to work there because of my tattoos but not before I was in the



meeting for 2 hours. The thing is there was a guy in there with long hair and 2 of the other people that got jobs had piercings but I was the only one too not get the job



Is this legal?



Tattoo's and job employment Legallality issues?concert venue



There has to be more to this story than you've told us.



Something changed their minds about you. If you satisfied all their requirements (no long hair, no visible tattooes, no piercings) initially but was later let go, something changed. Did you ask why? If not, ask (politely) why you were not hired. Only then can you "try" to change their minds. But again, be polite, be professional, be mature. You have no chance of changing their minds otherwise.



Tattoo's and job employment Legallality issues?events opera theater



They specified no tattoes in areas that can be seen - face, neck and hands. They did not specify arms.



I'm wondering if the cross and stars tattoos were seen as religious in some way, even if thats not what you meant to imply?



I would ask them specifically "what was it about my tattoos that made you change your minds?"
Yes it's legal - they can hire whoever they want to, and aren't obliged to keep you on afterwards. They do however have to pay you for whatever hours you worked before they fired you.



Discrimination laws cover unequal treatment due to things like gender, race, and age over 40. Tattoos are not protected by these laws.
I dont know about the legallity of this but it seems like they shouldnt care because



1. Hair CAN be cut



2. piercings CAN be taken out



and



3. Tattoos on the arms CAN be covered. if you wear a long sleeved shirt under your uniform.



I dont think that is right at all. its pretty stupid if you ask me.
Yes, it is legal. They aren't discriminating against you because the tattoos are something you have chosen to get. Will they not let you wear a long sleeved shirt under your uniform? It's wrong that they did this and especially since they already had others there breaking their so called guidelines but legally there is nothing you can do. Many people get turned down because of tattoos. That's why people need to put this into consideration when choosing where they get tattooed.
That sucks. I know they can fire you within the first three months of emplyment and they can say whatever they want but they can't say it's because of your tatoos. Is that not discrimination?
Yes it is legal. This is something you have done to yourself and some folks find it dis-tasteful, some find it unsanitary. It is not discrimination because you were not born with them. Often jobs that deal with food preparation will ask folks to cover up their tattoos. Perhaps you could ask if you can wear long sleeves to cover them up. Or you can look for work in an area where they do not care. But to answer your question, yes it is legal.
It seems like discrimination to me. Plus, they owe you payment for the 2 hours of training.



Call the labor board.
I recommend contacting the person who you interviewed with, to clarify their policy.



Be careful not to rant at them or scream at them, a phone call or a conversation without a clear point wastes everyone's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment